Wednesday 31 August 2016

How to make a modern miniature toilet

Seeing as my dollhouse is modern style, I wanted my toilet to be 'floating' or 'wall hung'.

For some reason I have got into carving balsa wood, probably because I have accumulated sooooo much of it doing all these dollhouse renovations and I'm getting sick of everything being square!

So tools needed for a modern toilet - a block of balsa wood, this one started at roughly 6cm x 3cm.  Remember balsa is very soft wood so it is easy to cut and sand and that makes it my preferred choice of wood to use as you don't need power tools.

Other tools needed are a box cutter, small hand saw, sand paper, pen.

Get out your ruler and briefly measure the area you want the toilet to be placed to get an idea of the overall size.  My toilet is going to be about 3cm x3cm square and about 2cm in height.


I googled modern toilets to get an idea of a shape I wanted to use.  I then briefly sketched a pattern onto the outside of the wood block.

Try and use a handsaw to cut off as much excess wood as possible.  Then with the box cutter start by cutting off the corners to make more of a curved corner.

I started with a 'back' on the toilet but went a bit crazy with the craft knife and accidentally cut if off.  I should have cut the back in with my hand saw....


Once you have cut most of the wood away you can use a corse sandpaper to even out all the bumps.  I find it easier to hold the sandpaper on the bench and rub the wood over the sandpaper.  If the sandpaper is flat on a bench it sands more evenly.  Course sandpaper can leave big scratches so be careful not to push too hard.  Once you are happy with the shape finish off with a finer sandpaper to give a nice smooth finish.





This is how I will mount it after I have painted it with some white paint.  I will add finished photos when the bathroom is complete.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Công ty vận chuyển hàng nước ngoài FadoExpress hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi mỹ, gửi hàng đi úcgửi hàng đi đài loan và dịch vụ chuyển phát nhanh đi hàn quốc uy tín, giá rẻ

    ReplyDelete